Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Beth - Food Post for You

A couple of my children have been posting about inexpensive tasty meals to make on the quick. Since Beth left her comment about no food post, I thought I would make my contribution, Quick Asian Noodle Soup.

I love all versions of Asian noodle soup, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese – makes no difference. I’m sure you’re familiar with Instant Ramen noodles where you cook the noodles for a couple of minutes and put a dry flavor pack in. Well with some simple changes you can make turn this into something really good.

Step One – Create a Broth

You will need a couple of ingredients that you may not have on hand if you don’t cook from scratch regularly. This would be fresh garlic, fresh ginger, and some good quality soy sauce.

Slice the garlic and ginger and sauté in a little oil. Add some soy, a little sugar and a little white pepper. If you have some dry sherry, put a little of that in as well. Then add two cups of chicken or beef or vegetable broth – canned is fine. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon take out the garlic and ginger.

Step Two – Make the Noodles

Take noodles out of package and cook them in your broth. Throw out the little dry flavor pack.

Step Three – Add Meat and Vegetables

Whatever you have that is left over in the way of veggies and meat, cut in to small pieces and add to your soup.

Step Four – Eat

With real broth and real meat and veggies you have a nutritious, filling, quick meal. Need to feed more? Just multiply. Want to get more exotic? Buy some bottle Asian flavorings like black bean paste or garlic chili paste and add some during step one or get some sesame oil and add at the end.

4 comments:

terri said...

Using leftover meat and veggies in the ingredients presumes that there actually ARE leftovers in the fridge.

I do need to give this a try though. My kids would love it.

alexis said...

oh man I do love asian soups, period.

stef said...

Yum! This is a great Idea Dad! And of course you could any noodles you have on hand really.

Anonymous said...

Wow. As culinarily-incompetent as I am, I think I might actually be able to handle this one. I may have to give it a try.