Sunday, May 11, 2014

Euro 2014 - Observations on the Long Stay

One of our purposes of this particular trip is for Wife and I to find out if we really like being in another country and in a single place within that country for a long period of time.  It was something that I have conjectured on for a long time.  One of the most formative periods of my life was the 10 months I spent in France during my college years.  I often said that no vacation I have ever taken could match that experience of really getting to know a place and live in it.

In my transition planning thoughts, long stays in other countries were part of the concept.  But the voice of wisdom said, "You are basing this on a time and place that were long ago and a person who really no longer exists. Maybe it won't be what you think it will be."  So this trip is dipping our toes in the water.

So far so go.  I am really liking getting to know my area; the stores, the markets, the little sites, the place to go hiking.  I'm reminded of how much I enjoy experiencing another culture.  And I'm enjoying NOT feeling like I have to do things because I will only be here a short amount of time.

Today is a good example.  As my prior posts have indicated, we've been going balls to the wall since we left Amsterdam through the departure of our friends on Thursday.  it all caught up to us and both Wife and I came down with maladies.  (Sub note - Wife and I really are having a very difficult time accepting our age.  Reality is that we just can't push things and go at the pace we might have 15 or 20 years ago...[big sigh]).  No problem.  We did stuff around the rental.  We had to do laundry anyway.  We did some exploring of the local trail and coastline.  Today we went to our local market which is pretty small but had some really good stuff.  We're in artichoke growing country and they are just coming in.  There is a local lady at the market that sells these huge ones.  We stocked up on them for ourselves and to have some when Daughter #3 comes down later in the week.  It is also white asparagus season.  These are a real treat and very hard to find in Albuquerque.  They had some lovely ones that we bought.  Plus there were fresh local crabs and clams. 

We were going to go out for lunch today and have soup and cheese for dinner.  With the bounty of the market we changed plans and decided to have a big meal mid-afternoon with the sea food and some of the artichokes instead.  This is what you can do when you have the time and are in a place for a while.

3 comments:

alexis said...

well from our chat just now it sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time! Experiment success so far.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Artichokes! What a treat.

It continues to sound like a lovely trip.

terri said...

Sounds heavenly. I think I could enjoy retirement if it involved living like this now and then.