Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Vacation from Entertaining

This last weekend we had yet another two days of entertaining.  Had business associate and wife over on Saturday and did another four course meal.  I was strapped for time so didn't photojournalize.  I did however make the dessert this time which was fruit with sabayon.  That's a frothy custard of egg yolks, sugar and sweet wine.  Came out very good.  I'm really getting into the whole egg yolk emulsion thing.  Next I need to try creme anglaise and hollandaise sauce.

Then on Sunday we were out for pizza with The Count and Contessa.  They were ravenous from tennis and they wanted to try a bunch of different pizzas so we ended up ordering three thinking we'd have a lot left over for them to take back.  There were three slices left when we were done!  It was also half off bottle of wine night so Wife and I almost polished off one of those.  So much for restraint.

As a result of this, Wife has banned me from any entertaining again until mid-July.  So it is going to be full square on the low calorie routine for the next four weeks.

4 comments:

Jules said...

It tastes so good to cheat sometimes though, doesn't it? I don't know what the desserts were that you made (except custard was familiar), but the pizza I get!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

A few months ago (when it was citrus season) I found a recipe for grapefruit sections, topped with sabayon and broiled. It was a nice change from cake, and delicious!

terri said...

I don't know how you do it. I think some people are in their element when entertaining (you) and some are completely out of it (me).

I think Wife did the right thing. No matter how much you enjoy it, sometimes a break is necessary.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Banned from entertaining? A draconian move by Gloria.....I don't like it!