Sunday, January 15, 2012

Stopped Before I Started

So Saturday morning I was already to head out to the hills for my first full day of hiking since the "Malaise". I've got my gear packed. I'm almost out the door. When wife staggers into the kitchen looking not well at all. She's picked up some kind of injury from water aerobics that evidently tightened up over night (something we found out afterwards after seeing the doctor) and she is in excruciating pain. Wife is a tough lady, so for her to screaming out in pain just trying to lift a glass of water is not to be taken lightly.

We spent most of the morning icing her area of pain and me helping her drink, eat and move. We surmised that it was a pinched nerve and she was showing some improvement. She decided to call her medical group and fortunately the muscular/skeletal injuries person was on duty. He told us it was in fact a muscle/soft tissue injury and gave her a bunch of muscle relaxants and pain killers.

So I figure I can go on something this morning, Sunday. I've got my gear packed. I'm dressed and ready to go when I make normal Sunday phone call to my Father. He tells me he's in bad shape and that he needs help. He NEVER asks for help. This precipitates calls to my brothers back and forth and the decision that I need to get out there. I was lucky to catch a flight and I'm now in Chicago changing planes on my was to CT.

To be continued.

6 comments:

Agent W said...

We hope your father will be ok! He will feel a lot better to have you there. We will keep in touch with "Wife" and you! Agent W & The Derf

terri said...

I'm so sorry to hear Wife is in pain. I hope she's feeling better by now. Your father is in my prayers. Safe travels!

Mike said...

Clearly, your plans to go hiking cause bad things to happen. Maybe you should take up white water rafting or something.

In all seriousness, I hope Wife's pain goes away soon, and I hope your dad is doing ok. Very sorry to hear about them.

alexis said...

I hope everyone is okay. I am going to try to call mom this morning (your time of course). Not sure she'll be able to pick up the phone.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Our thoughts are with you and your Dad. And get well soon, Aunt de-I!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Ugh, Glo and your dad!! Not a great start to 2012!! Hope the trip has a happy ending.