Monday, January 9, 2012

Getting Back In Shape

After the two months of illness immediately followed by the two weeks of family visit and wine inventory reduction, I got completely out of shape.

As soon as I put the last kid on the last plane, I started a series of walks and small hikes to build myself back up. At my age this is a royal pain...as in really painful. But I've been through it before and I have a system. The first few walks are not that bad. Then I start doing the local hike to the Meadow that is not too long but is a steep climb. The first one of those I really was gasping for air and my heart was racing a mile a minute.

Last weekend Gaius Derf and I went on the first, lower portion of the La Luz trail, a nice 4.6 mile hike with a gradual ascent but at higher altitude. I am happy to report that I had no breathing or cardiovascular problems at all. Legs were sore.

This coming weekend will be the first 'regular' hike, my six mile South Crest Trail go to hike. I'm really looking forward to it.

6 comments:

alexis said...

sigh! I missing hiking. Glad you're getting back into it.

terri said...

It takes serious drive to get back at it, especially after being away from it so long. Good for you for making the effort.

Anonymous said...

I have a love/hate relationship with those first days of soreness when I start working out again. I wish we had more places to hike nearby without having to drive an hour to get to them...and even then, they are easy because Missouri is pretty flat compared to what we could be hiking.

Bernice said...

I, too, have started an exercise program. Didn't know if the pain in the stomach area was from exercising or indigestion.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Have the bears descended from the mountains yet to feed on the trails? It's getting colder and they're getting hungry!!

Mike said...

I've started up my Couch-to-5K running program again this year. I'll finish week two today. Every day gradually gets less painful. It's crazy how you can be in good shape one week, then take a month or so off and be back exactly where you started. :(