Thursday, January 12, 2012

Inventing A New Cooking Technique

Well, I doubt if it is really new. I'm sure it's out there somewhere. But as far as my personal experience and research are concerned, it's new. I'd quote a bunch of anthropological stuff just to drive Joe nuts now but I'm too tired to look it up.

OK - so I've had this problem...not problem really...more of a challenge. I'm still on the under 300 calorie for dinner regime because Wife still has a ways to go on her weight loss desires. (Thank you two month long illness for pushing me through the barrier to my goal and some how changing my metabolism so I'm staying there in spite of the holidays and everything. By the way Wife says if I really loved her I would have gotten her sick so she could have lost weight too. But for crying out loud, I kiss her, cook her meals, breath on her. What more could I do?). Trying to come up with innovative flavorings to keep variety in the meals is an on-going challenge.

I've wanted for sometime to come up with a way to create a cream type flavoring/sauce but have been stymied because of the calories involved. This week I came up with the methodology.

I started with a cup of 2% milk, 130 calories. I added some stock to that, in this case fish stock because I was preparing shrimp as my protein. Then I added my flavorings to the combination. In this case I did an Indian spice blend and a couple of tomatoes. I let that simmer for 15-20 minutes while I partially steamed the vegetables (broccoli and corn) in this case and let the shrimp marinate in a dry rub. Then I strained the flavorings out of the milk-stock mixture. I added some corn starch to thicken. I finished the veggies in the sauce and added the shrimp at the last two minutes.

It came out very, very good and had that creaminess I was looking for. The caloric amount of the milk was about a wash for the usual 1 tablespoon/100 calories of fat I use in most of my other preparations. I'm excited on trying this technique with some of my other flavor profiles as well.

4 comments:

terri said...

Cream sauces always make a meal seem heartier.

I'm glad you didn't pass your illness on to Wife in spite of her belief that it was a miracle weight loss tactic. That did NOT sound like fun.

alexis said...

make sure you tell mom how awesome she looks, and often. Nothing worse I think for a woman in a relationship than when her partner is slimmer than her if she is trying to lose weight. It's sad that this is so but I think in the West it's a lost cause to battle it when the women have been seeped in the culture for so long.

Mike said...

Look at you inventing new recipes! Sounds like it turned out delicious.

Jules doesn't have it in her to follow a recipe from start to finish. She always finds way to make them healthier, and better-tasting. Trust me, though, she has no need to lose any weight.

Anonymous said...

I normally don't make cream sauces because I think they are a lot more unhealthy than tomato based sauces, though I'm not sure when I started thinking that. You just rocked my world, though! I will have to try this sauce!