Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Book Bonanza!

I love to read. I love reading history. This week a location of regional bookstore chain, Hastings, that is just blocks from our house is being closed by the chain. So there's a big sale. Wife was in there on Monday and got four books for $13! So we decided to go in see what we could find.

As Mrs. de-I said, "You're fortunate that your tastes are so esoteric. There will probably be lots still available for you." And there was. I bought around 10 books. There were three books I had wanted from a favorite author, Bill Bryson (not history - and he's fairly popular). And the second to latest Terry Pratchett, Disc World book that I have read. I was surprised they were still around. But the things I was happiest about were the history books. Among them I got this one.

A complete history of British-Napoleonic Wars from 1789 to 1815.
I took the picture from an angle so you could get an idea of the size of this baby.
"Sigh"
And there was this mega volume, one of the definitive histories of the American Revolution.

We also got a guide book for our trip this year to Spain and a map. But best of all, tops of all was this:


A Biography of Charles the Second of England and a history of the Restoration Period of the late 17th Century.

Can you imagine the arcane analogy material I'm going to get from this! I bet there's enough in here to drive Lakeview Coffee Joe nuts for a year.

I can't wait to start reading it.

6 comments:

terri said...

I love books too. Since I'm reading mostly electronic versions these days, I miss the experience of browsing through book stores, leafing through pages, feeling the covers in my hands.

I don't typically read stuff such as the ones here, but the American Revolution book looks fascinating!

p.s. You won an award on my blog. Congrats!

Mike said...

Those books make my eyes glaze over just from looking at the covers.

If you ever need some books on the history of the Linux kernel, or the intricacies of TCP/IP networking, you let me know. ;)

alexis said...

I like history and I like books, but I also have a weight limit on how big a volume I'm willing to try to handle.

Plus these days I read once every two weeks so it's slow going. I'd be reading that first book until I was a grandmother!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

When I really like a book, then the bigger the better. I sit there and think about the reading value per penny paid, and it makes me happy.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Oh good Lord. Can't WAIT to start hearing the analogies from these beauties. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I used to like to read a lot then didn't so much during college and after, and now I'm starting to get into it again. Though I like non-fiction, I'm not too keen on war history. Other history is okay though. Happy reading! You've got enough for the next month of plane trips at least!