Saturday, June 11, 2011

Wife Family Reunion #1 - Fried Pickles

My picture taking at this, the 4th triennial Wife's Family Reunion, was erratic in the extreme. I'm going to post these in chronological order over the next few posts.

It takes Wife and I two days of driving to do the 1300 miles from Albuquerque to the upper Midwest, this time about 30 miles northwest of Madison Wisconsin.

Day one is through New Mexico east, then northeast through the Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma Panhandle, and halfway through Kansas stopping in Wichita. We at a a local place called the Hanger One Steakhouse. It was pretty good. Reasonably priced, good service and good food for the price. One of the dishes was something I'd seen on TV but never on a menu where I've been, deep fried pickles.

These had a kind of curry flavoring in the crust. The pickles themselves were like kosher dills. The dipping sauce was something slightly sweet.

My first reaction when biting in was that they were strange. But the more I ate them the more they grew on me. This is the ultimate bar food. You will definitely what something to be drinking with them, especially beer.

3 comments:

terri said...

Mmm-hmmm! I knew it! I had the same reaction. I tried them only because they were a novelty. Ended up loving them.

Anonymous said...

I would love to try those with a beer. I will do that if I see them on the menu anywhere around here.

alexis said...

omg, it is my perfect pregnancy dream food.