Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cooking with Bloggers

So at the end of our Wisconsin reunion trip, I had concocted the idea that since I was in the Northern Midwest that it would be a great idea to go to St. Paul MN and cook a meal for my blogging buddy Terri Terri. Terri has written a quite excellent post that covers our relationship and the feelings of the whole night. Thanks Terri! So rather than redo the ground she so eloquently covered, I will add some of my own complementary observations and give the traditional de-I foodie perspective :)

Maybe most of you wouldn't think this is an idea for those quite right in the head, but it's just the kind of thing that I love to do (you might remember my driving 600+ miles to Salt Lake City to cook a surprise meal for Gaius Derf in 2007). So after a trip that totaled 3100 miles, driving another 200 to cook for Terri and family was a no brainer...at least to me. (Wife has long ago given up trying to understand my idiosyncrasies)

So here's are cast of characters
Terri's husband Mark
He was a food prepping force

My buddy Terri - what a sweet soul, even more so in person!

Wife with Terri's oldest son Brad who ate with us. Wife is such a great sport and support and I really, really loved having Brad. I was doing my best to convert him to the dark foodie forces :)

Look at this great knife work by Terri - those finely chopped onions and garlic.
I'm soooo embarrassed that I actually forgot to use these :(
(Well I was in a strange kitchen and it was a unique situation!)

Evidence of how Terri takes all her cool pictures.
What is this am I going to Camera Sherpa for her too!!!



ON TO THE FOODIE DESCRIPTIONS


Course # 1 - Spanish Style Garlic Shrimp


This is a very common tapa or bar snack in Spain.

Marinate shrimp in fresh garlic, salt, pepper, pimenton (Spanish smoked paprika - very yummy stuff), some olive oil and dry sherry. Then simply saute in more olive oil for just a couple of minutes and finish with a little more sherry and some butter.

Course #2 - Ragout of Mushrooms



This is a dish I often make because I love mushrooms and it is pretty simple. Look for a selection of mushrooms. In this case I had fresh brown mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, and oyster mushrooms. Clean and cut into pieces. Saute some onions and garlic (or you should...I forgot :( ) and add your mushrooms. Salt, pepper and paprika (I like Hungarian) added - the salt extracts moisture from the mushrooms. Add some sherry and cream and cook until the mushrooms are cooked through. I served these with my own croutons. The croutons are just fresh bread cut into cubes tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried herbs of choice. Then toast in a pan.

Course # 3 - Spaghetti Cabonara


I love making this and it's always a hit. And so simple!

The prep -
  • Cut a pound of bacon into one inch strips, brown until crisp with a garlic clove, drain, saving the oil
  • Grate a half pound of fresh preferably imported Parmigiana Reggiano cheese
  • Whip three eggs in a heavy bowl
  • Add the cheese and the bacon oil and whip until combined
Cook the spaghetti. Drain and immediately add to the bowl with the egg, cheese, bacon oil mixture. Add the bacon. Toss. The heat from the pasta cooks the eggs and you have a lovely creamy cheesy sauce with bacony flavor.

I served up a bubbly Italian Prosecco and a Grenache from the Monterey CA area.

OK Terri and Mark - Next meal will be the two of you in Albuquerque!

7 comments:

alexis said...

how cool to meet a new friend this way. :)

terri said...

I'm SO glad we made this get-together happen! It was really a treat! Thank you for listing the recipes for each dish. Brad was talking this morning and wanting to try to recreate the foods we enjoyed with you and I really wasn't very certain of any of it.

We would love to get together again. We'll have to make a trip your way happen!

Anonymous said...

Mmm. Looks great. We certainly enjoyed your meal a the reunion as well.

Agent W said...

Hopefully all of you can get together soon again!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Sounds delicious and I'm glad it went off without a hitch! Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

great food post as always! I'm not a huge shrimp fan but the mushrooms and pasta look amazing!

WeaselMomma said...

I am truly jealous! You got to meet the fantabulous Terry in person and she got to hang out with you! One of these days when you are in Chicago, I would love to get together for dinner.