Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Puritains Would Be Using Trial By Electronic Device Today

If there were to be witch trials today, you wouldn't be dunked into the pond and if you came out alive you were a witch. No your electronic devices would go on the blink and if you could actually get them to work, clearly you would be the spawn of the devil.

Up until today, I was comfortable that I would be one of the saved. My usual response to problems with electronic devices has been after 3.6285 minutes of trouble shooting to swear for an hour and toss the device out.

However, I am afeared that I may be one of cursed (no wonder I was left behind by the Rapture) because I troubleshot not just one device but TWO devices over the last four days.

First there was the TomTom GPS. I went to change over from the European map to the US map (why they make a device that is advertised as having both these capabilities doesn't have the memory to carry them both at the same time!). After 3 hours of working I could find no way of moving the map from the computer back to the device. And it didn't show up as available on the website either. Tried to buy the map but that didn't work either. Finally I sent a service help request and got an email back with 2 and a half pages of instructions. I gird my loins for the battle of trying to follow these. Hook up the device and miraculously the US map is available for downloading from the website which I do with no problems. Work of the Devil!!!!

Then I have been having weird problems with my cell phone...email function no operating...battery draining. I started by changing the battery. Perhaps it's old and not giving the system enough juice. Nope. So more knowledgeable folk then I suggested that I reset the device. I did this which of course meant that I had to reset everything including set up the email accounts. Got the bluetooth going. Got the data from Entourage back on the phone. But the email...NO! I put all the account information in and I keep getting an error message telling me the internet is not synching correctly. I can actually get on the internet but can't get the email to work.

Hours of trying go by. I call T-Mobile support. We try this and that without success. They tell me I need to call device manufacturer HTC. I do. They're really very nice (after the 15 minute wait on hold). I need to take the battery out to give them the device number. I do that and the lovely lady sends me to the customer support person. I put the battery in as the first lady told me because they will need to work me through the fixes. Mr. Support guy gets on the phone. Asks me what the problem is. I start to describe said problem. Look at my phone. And see 356 emails being down loaded! What the @!*%#! So far it's working fine.

WORK OF THE DEVIL. I'm doomed.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Hahaha... nicely done!

It's funny. Being the geek that I am, while I'm very good with computers, I'm not really that great at figuring out other electronic stuff. I bought a new phone a few weeks back, and you should've seen me trying to figure out all the stuff on it. Disastrous.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I like the word "afeared". One of my favorites. Technology headaches...ugh. It sounds like the phone answer was "reboot"!

terri said...

"I gird my loins..."

I am going to be chuckling over that one for a long time. I'm going to try to use that in a sentence sometime soon!

Glad you got your gadgets back up and running. Nothing is more frustrating than gadgets that do not work as they should.

Anonymous said...

Technology and good and evil at the same time. And of course after talking to all these people it would suddenly start working for you again. Stupid electronic devices.