Thursday, September 3, 2009

Used Book Bonanza - Verifying My Place in Middle America

I like to take great solace in the knowledge that I am just one of the crowd. An average American. A person whose taste, inclinations, values, and lifestyle represent the great mass of my fellow countrymen.

So you can share my delight when I visited a local bookstore which, because of the economy, had combined their used book operation that had previously been a separate store with their regular one. Both used and new books are now located on the same shelves. A great opportunity for people like me who like to own their books and come back to them again and again.

The three books below cost $8 each - a bargain. I share them with you fellow middle of the roaders.

This one is about the great Chinese treasure fleets of the early 15th century. China was on the verge of being the great colonial power when a reactionary royal class scuttled the whole exploratory activity. A real page turner I'm sure.

This next one is about Spain during the period from the 8th to the 14th century when it had a highly evolved and unusual culture where Muslims, Jews and Christians were able to live and prosper together. OMG, I probably will be missing sleep before I can put this down.

I've read other books by Russell Shorto so this text that combines the philosophy of Descartes with the history of his skeleton has to be excitement city. My heart will be racing so much I won't be able to sleep.

After all I think therefore I am.

8 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I can hear the bad 15th century analogies already.....ugh.

alexis said...

LOL joe!

Pulisha said...

More books for me to borrow when we visit! ;)

I am truly jealous. It seems like the period in life, with small children and full-time work, leaves little time for reading for pleasure *sigh*

terri said...

I experience the same excitement over new (or new-used) books. Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

I've read 1421! And I really like it. So now I'll have to check out those other recommendations...

WeaselMomma said...

Wow. How did you manage to get your hands on those? Every time our bookstore gets a shipment in they sell out within minutes.

stef said...

I own 1421 and you could have had it for free! I couldn't get into it.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I like to read about real stuff, but I don't know if I can get into that. I'm trying to get Mike to read "102 Minutes". It's about what happened inside the towers on Sept. 11, and it is outstanding. It's definitely a page turner, and I especially liked it because it had no politics in it...it was just about the lives of the people and the actions of everyone... definitely a great read.