Sunday, September 20, 2009

New Zealand 2009 - Or How I Embraced Being a Camera Sherpa - Part 1 - On the Way

Getting out of Dodge (or Albuquerque as it was) was less than a calm event given that we had found our business bank was shut down by the FDIC on the Saturday before we left. Wife had done all kinds of planning and setting up to get everything organized for the three weeks and this of course threw a bit of a monkey wrench into the plans. So instead of leisurely packing on Saturday, she was dealing with that.

We didn’t actually get everything in the suitcases until Sunday morning but we’re pretty good at traveling so that wasn’t so bad. More stress came about when while I was doing yoga at 6 in the morning I had this realization that I had forgot to account for the International Date Line and had given the wrong date to both our first B & B and the rental car reservation. Fortunately for me we are going at a slow time and it was no problem for us to push our reservations up a day.

Our friend Derf was going to take us to the airport but came down with a kidney stone the day before. Fortunately we had another offer from neighbor Ann and we took advantage of that.

The flight to LA was uneventful. We have a five-hour layover so we walked between the terminals, made sure we had seats together, and then walked to another part of the airport for a little snack. Might as well get the exercise, as we will be cooped up for a long flight.


Wife, in spite of bank woes, is ready to go. We found this nice little place between terminals to kill time.

Beauty can be any where - Even at LAX

Terminal 2 - Home of Air New Zealand


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon, Derf!

And that's a lovely little garden you found in LAX. I have had several layovers in New Zealand, and I particularly like the little forest/woodland areas that they have right in the middle of the terminal hallways. I hope you'll see them when you fly in.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

It seemed like everything was conspiring against you on this trip!! Glad to see it's working out though. I wonder if you're there yet....probably not quite.

terri said...

I sure hope you get a chance to actually RELAX on this vacation. Because all events leading up to it were anything BUT relaxing!

Pulisha said...

Yipes! Glad I got to talk to you guys before you left. Hopefully the flight wasn't too bad (it is a looong one!). Enjoy your vacation!

Mike said...

Wow... your trip was off to an even rougher start than I initially thought. I'm with Terri; I hope you get to relax a little once you get there.

stef said...

Yay! I'm so glad you are there and can start enjoying yourselves!