Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Motherrocker To The Rescue

You're driving down the Kennedy from Chicago's O'Hare International Delayport. You and your business partner, Ricardo, have a hankering for pizza. But not any old pizza. Not Chicago style deep dish pizza. But a thin crust, either NY style or Italian style pizza. Has to be high quality and has to have a decent wine selection. Ricardo's friends are of no assistance. Where to go? Who to call?

Why the Chicago Restaurant Hot Line, sometimes known as my daughter, Motherrocker, and able co-partner & husband, John the Armenian. Makes no difference that they are driving home from Ohio pig roast extravaganza. They have iPhones. They're always available.

(Side Note: Since daughter is now having her second child and her band is kind of winding down, I really think her moniker should be MOTHERrocker)


Her suggestion? Pizza DOC 2251 West Lawrence (that's just west of Damen).

We started out with a reasonable Caprese salad (though to be honest I thought the tomatoes were so so given it is the season) and a superior grilled calamari. Then the main course - pizza. We had a simple version with dried cured beef, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and a little arugula. It was awesome. I really good Italian style pizza is about the quality of ingredient. No one ingredient should overwhelm. Nor should the sum of the ingredients be overwhelming in volume. It should be as if when you look at it it seems meager but when you actually eat it it seems totally full. This one totally filled the bill. Washed down with a bottle of Dolcetto - delicious.
This did not survive the evening

9 comments:

WeaselMomma said...

Maybe one of these times you will give me notice that you are going to be in Chicago and that we may share a meal. That is unless you are creeped out in a stalker kind of way.

Anonymous said...

To be fair to the restaurant, almost all of the tomatoes I've eaten this summer have been so-so. It's just a bad year for tomatoes, at least in the Eastern half of the U.S.

stef said...

So glad it was good. Thank husband- he remembered it. It's been years since we've been there!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Hmmm, looks good. I'm going to have to give it a shot. LL LOVES grilled calamari.

alexis said...

goodness looks good but if that goes for simple toppings I'd hate to see what a complicated one looks like

de-I said...

WeaselMomma - I will definitely try. The biggest problem I have is that when I'm in Chicago my time is not my own. I'm with my partners who set up my schedule. However, since one is blogger Lakeview Coffee Joe maybe I can get him to do it in the interest of blogger good relations :)

de-I said...

Stef - Thanks Husband!

Anonymous said...

MMMMMmmmmmmmmm...........Pizzaaa...... :)

Mike said...

I still want to know how you go about getting one of those snazzy nicknames. :P