Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Super Busy

For all those doing the gratitude lists, I am so, so grateful to be working like a maniac. We've got tons of stuff going on. I have three clients that we are doing varieties of conflict resolution between owners (always very draining emotionally). We have a full plate of companies that we are doing process improvement and long-term value building (these are the most enjoyable and rewarding). I have had more speaking engagements in the first two months of the year than I the whole second half of last year. Plus I have two acquisition deals I'm negotiating.

One of these is a deal where I'm representing the buyer and we thought it was dead and gone but has revived. It isn't that big, around $2.5 million, but I have a great free agreement that pays on the profits of the deal going forward five years. I'd love to get this one. The other deal is totally crazy. We're helping a guy who is trying to acquire a $350 million a year retailer, publicly owned, that is tanking. We could very well end up trying to buy it from its bank when it gets ready to close it down. This is really pretty far a field from what I do normally but I must say it is fun to play on this kind of playing field.

And as I'm in Chicago and on my way to Connecticut, I'm dead tired - but grateful :)

4 comments:

terri said...

It's good that you're busy and you're lucky. I've just been reminded that no matter how uninspiring and tedious my work feels right now, I'm very lucky to have that paycheck. It could be so much worse.

stef said...

So glad you are enjoying your work and that it is going well!

Unknown said...

I'm counting my blessings too for keeping very busy at my job....glad that you are doing well....somehow please get your rest!!!


Agent W

Anonymous said...

Wow... that's why I work in IT and not the business realm. Computers break and I fix them. I couldn't handle all the traveling and constant negotiations. I applaud you for that.

We are lucky to have jobs, though. In this crappy economy, where so many people are left with nothing, I'm very happy to be getting a steady paycheck.