Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Another Day, Another Jury Panel

Maybe it's the ramping up after the holidays but I am being called in every day for another jury panel. After having been at the courthouse from 8:30 AM to 7 PM yesterday and not getting picked for the murder trial, I was back in court at 9 AM to be on a panel for a civil case involving a woman suing a teenage girl and her mother for damages associated with being rear ended by the girl in an auto accident.

I was in the top group being considered for the jury. In NM you can tell this because you are seated in the jury box during the vetting. However, unlike the murder case where I felt I could be completely impartial, I had real issues with this one. And the defense attorney in his questions brought these out. Since my work brings me in contact with all kinds of abuses of the civil legal systems, the attorney asked if anyone would be biased by this. Well I felt I was. In addition, I am well aware of the limits a parent has on the actions of their teenagers in the real world no matter how hard they try, so I had strong issues about that as well.

In the end I was not selected. I'm not sure if this was the best thing for my personal business life as I'm still on the hook for panel's through the end of the week. I have to call in again midday to see if I need to come in during the afternoon.

11 comments:

nonna said...

i'm such a total geek that knowing what kind of responses they are looking for (i'm really good at psychological type tests) i made sure not to get booted by my answers.

i know, it's probably not the way you should do it, but i can pretty much be impartial and judge things by the evidence and not my biases.

now, judging ppl, not so good at it. whoever happens to be testifying at the time or being questioned (on tv shows like law & order, etc.) is who i believe. then the other "suspect" tells their lies and i believe them. i am waay to gullible in that sense.

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to really appreciate the fact that last time I got called for jury duty, I had to call in (and possible show up) for only one day.

stef said...

That is crazy that they can keep you on the hook all week like that

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

And it's not just one week Stef!! It's been like three weeks. Makes you realize that one day isn't so bad.

terri said...

It's funny how different jury selection is in different states. My one experience had me show up on the first day with a hundred others. 24 were chosen to be interviewed. The rest of us were told to go home and didn't need to come back. There was a slim chance we'd be called back but probably not. I wasn't.

alexis said...

I hope I can't be internationally dialed in for jury duty!

nonna said...

ok, since you don't have moderation turned on i figure there is no way you will know this unless i point it out. i commented on this post dated Saturday, June 30, 2007. lol

oh loved the squirrel wars, glad y'all won!

i always like trying to guess how to pronounce names so phonetically is it: poe-dole-knee?

Michael Podolny said...

Actually it's two weeks. AND IT IS OFFICIALLY OVER! Yay.

Nonna - I can't believe that you tracked all the way back to June of 2007 to find posts. That's impressive. And while I don't have moderation on I do have all responses emailed to me so I did get.

nonna said...

but the name man the name! did i "pronounce" it right?? hehe

Michael Podolny said...

Indeed the pronunciation is correct!

Anonymous said...

Reading this makes sitting in a courtroom look even less attractive in my mind than it already did. I'm sure my time will come eventually... but I'm not excited about it.