Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hash

What do you do when you have left over meat and potatoes? No you do not pretend this is the 60's or modern day Amsterdam. You chop the meat and potatoes fine and make a hash.

I don't know why I suddenly got this urge to do this with leftovers. I think it was a Food Network show, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, that got me on the kick. A few weeks ago, I had a small bit of meat and potato left from a previous meal. I checked my trusty, Joy of Cooking, (one of the best overall cooking texts ever!) and under hash I found that it is simply chopped meat, potatoes and whatever, combined and then pan-fried.

So I've been experimenting whenever I have the basic components. I am still perfecting what I feel are the necessary additives and techniques to make a superior hash. My results to date have been good but I can see a lot of room for improvement.

I will report back when I get things more fully tested.

8 comments:

nonna said...

so what kind of meat are we talking about here? i hate leftovers going to waste sitting in the fridge, so this sounds like something good to me.

Beth said...

Shepherds Pie or Pot Pies!!!

Actually, I love to make these dishes.

Anonymous said...

My culinary skills leave much to be desired. I've never heard of making "hash" before, though. My girlfriend may have to try it. (Notice I didn't say *I* would have to try it... because from reading your blog, my understanding is that it cannot be prepared in a microwave or toaster.)

Anonymous said...

The vegetarian version, which I ate many, many times in Germany, is to take leftover potatoes (there are always leftover potatoes in Germany), fry them up with some onion, and serve them alongside a sunny-side-up egg.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I keep thinking that I like cornbeef hash.....but i don't. I WANT to, but I don't.

alexis said...

dude, do not be dissin' the stampot! i just made some last night.

terri said...

Hey, that sounds like something I could excel at. After all, I do live in the land of hot dish and hash sounds like a variation on hot dish!

WeaselMomma said...

that does sound good. Makes me want corned beef for dinner.