Thursday, November 6, 2008

Roasting Cauliflower

Roasting vegetables is so easy, I'm not sure why I don't do it more often. I had never done Cauliflower and I was in a hurry to make Wife dinner after coming home from a late meeting.

I simply tossed the cauliflower with some garam masala, cumin, onion powder, a little salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and vegetable oil put it in a baking dish and baked at 350 for 30 minutes. That gave me plenty of time to change my clothes and relax. Since we were having some leftover roast chicken as our protein. Nothing else was required.

The cauliflower came out very sweet with non of the wettness that you get from steaming or other water cooking techniques. Kudos as well for my flavor combination.

7 comments:

terri said...

That sounds delicious!

Is roasting red peppers easy too? I've never done my own. (I know. You're probably gasping in shock at the thought of store bought roasted red peppers!) ;-)

alexis said...

I wish my oven didn't murder most things! :(

stef said...

Carmelization on all cabbage-related vegetables is the key to yumminess I feel.

Michael Podolny said...

Terri - roasting peppers is a different problem because they have this thin membrane that you have to get off.

You put them under a broiler close to the heat until the skin starts to blacken. Turn them over so they do the same on all sides. Then you put them in a bag (plastic or paper) and let them steam/rest for an hour or so. You are now able to peel the skin off and you have roasted peppers. Ta Da!

Anonymous said...

I had heard that roasted cauliflower is especially good. I've been waiting until winter to try it since there are so many nice vegetables to eat right now. Sounds great.

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious !

Erin said...

Mmm I love roasted cauliflower! We often roast it with lots of garlic, S&P, and olive oil, and sometimes we do a mix of broccoli and cauliflower. Like you said, so easy and so delicious!