Sunday, November 16, 2008

Bits and Pieces from the Weekend

That dear friends is a picture of one of the strangest things I have ever eaten - and totally enjoyed! Earlier in the week, my business partner who is running a Native American owned business which I am also on the Board of (long, long, long story) went out to dinner at one of the few places in Albuquerque that I think are worth going to, Jennifer James 101.

The main course I chose was quail. I read but didn't quite totally pay attention to the side dishes one of which was "pecan pie with foie gras". The foie gras was the attraction to me - I love the stuff. Inside my mind I'm thinking, "it must be some sort of savory take on pecan pie to go with foie gras. I'll give it a try."

So you can imagine my shock and surprise when I taste the pie and no it is plain old real good dessert type pecan pie. Carefully I took a bite with the foie gras. To my surprise it was really good. Foie Gras is almost completely fat so it was like having a savory ice cream or rich, rich unsweetened whipped cream. As the chef had made the quail very salty, the sweet pie with the rich foie gras actually complemented it really well.

Hiking

Went on our landmark La Luz trail and did a good 8 mile, 2000 foot hike...BUT FORGOT MY CELL PHONE/CAMERA...hence no pictures :(

Wine Tasting at the Visigoths

Son-in-law Tim de Buffalo signed up for what he thought was going to be a snap course so he could keep his GI benefits going. The course was wine appreciation. But it has turned out to be a bear. Plus which the teacher must be a total nut case. Teach assigned a project consisting of making 10 different food items and pairing three different bottle of wine with each course! That means 30 bottles. Plus one of each threesome was supposed to be an expensive bottle. What does this teacher think students are made of - money?

I brought a bunch of my wine loving friends and we did a much scaled down tasting then put everyone's head together to come up with some ficticious responses for all those possibilities. Daughter, Pulisha, was a bit freaked out about all these strangers coming to visit but in the end I think she had a good time.

5 comments:

terri said...

Your dinner sounds... wierd... but you being the foodie that you are, I trust you when you say it was good.

Your SIL's instructor sounds ridiculous. I'll bet he was more than grateful for the assistance.

stef said...

Remember the french toast foie gras at Tru? Not so strange...

Beth said...

Dinner sounds DELISH!

The wine instructor-- OMG! 30 bottles! Unreal...

David Conroy said...

Hey thanks for the comment on my site. It's good to hear things from someone who's been there.

As for the dinner.... ate cow's lips while I was in spain.. it was on the tapas bar and just could not resist. But I will in the future! The better meal was a 15 course tasting at Mugaritz.

Michael Podolny said...

Hi David. Your cow lip story reminds me of having tepid pigs foot in southern France - It sounded much better in French!