Saturday, September 6, 2008

Mythical Remodel Not So Mythical After All?

It has been over a year since we began our process of pursuing the remodel of our home. We have gone through two bouts of "we're on/we're off" with one remodeling contractor. We finally gave the person the heave ho just before the operation in May (or vice versa since he just refused all contact with us). Fortunately for us, we were about even in terms of money compared to work.

By good fortune we were able to go to the remodeler who is considered to be the best in town and he, because business is soft, he was able to give us a relatively short lead time (3 mos compared to the 12-18 mos he was quoting when we started this whole process). Thus far the process with him has been a very pleasant change. This guy says, "I will have the plans to you on Wednesday", you have the plans on Wednesday. "I will call you the first of next week", you get called the first of next week.

On Wednesday we got his contract. This goes to the bank who now has to do an appraisal and give final approval for the construction loan.

Do I dare think this may actually happen?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really, really hope this works out this time for you.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Nah. Something will happen. Maybe because Fannie and Freddie were taken over, the bank won't come through with the money. It's always something!!!

My little bathroom has been ripped up for 6 months at least! Save yourself the trouble!! Run!! Run!!!

Michael Podolny said...

I can run but I can't hide :(

terri said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.