Monday, September 22, 2008

Are You Ready For The Heat Of Kitchen Stadium

I mentioned in a recent post that we are visiting my Brother and his family in Eastern Maryland. My Bro and family are serious gourmands - serious gourmands. Just visit the daughters blog, Black Coffee and a Donut, and you will see what I mean.

Bro and SiL have build there dream house on the East shore of the Chesapeake Bay, Blackacre...including a totally kick ass state of the art kitchen his blogging daughters have titled Kitchen Stadium. Being a frequenter of the BCD blog, I was having many a dream of what great meals that Bro and family might be dreaming up for us - especially when I got an email almost two months ago from Bro telling me they are already dreaming up what to eat. (I might mention that Mrs. de-I thinks our family is just short of totally loony in this respect). I see myself on the porch of Blackacre with a Johnny Walker Black, legs up, watching the sunset on the Bay while the BCD family does their magic.

Then things started to take a dark turn. I get an email from Bro detailing the idea of a family cook together. I like cooking. I love cooking. Going down the list there's the spot for the girls doing the first course. SiL doing the salad, Wife doing the dessert, and the main course - ME!

What I'm suppose to be the headliner? They're the super-gormands. I'm just a schelpper. Me the headliner in Kitchen Stadium like in Iron Chef! Will it be the Japanese version or the American version. Will they have a little vignette of my cooking history (Maybe pictures of me in my Army apartment in Huntsville AL with my first paperback James Beard cookbook)? Do I get to walk in with a retinue like the Japanese version or with the smoke machine like the American. Will we have someone playing the little Japanese announcer with the bow tie? Who plays the roll of expert commentator Yukio Hatori. Do the BCD family rise up from underneath the kitchen floor and I do get a chance to choose who I will be competing against? "I choose Iron Chef Law Student, Erin!)

Am I ready for the heat of Kitchen Stadium?

9 comments:

Erin said...

I love it! You forgot to ask: will Xani bite into a pepper, or an apple?

We are looking forward to the cooking extravaganza, and don't worry, there will be plenty of time for scotch on the shore.

See you soon!!

terri said...

There will be pictures right?

I have to say, I'm jealous. Family get togethers in my family consist of a crockpot of sloppy joes, cheesy potatoes and some kind of broccoli salad. Blech.

alexis said...

I absolutely want pictures

stef said...

You have the power! Not to mention- you and Mom will be eating for all of us. So you have to represent!

Bernice said...

Isn't this what you have been preparing for all of your life? You can do it.

Anonymous said...

You can do it! But just in case, get a smoke machine - a little smoke will obscure any difficulties...

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You have no experience in the Kitchen Stadium! You're going to get chewed up and spit out like an artichoke leaf. Ugh. NO FAIR! Seeing as the die have been cast, make the most of it and go nuts with something....something like es cargot! Ha!

Pulisha said...

Oooh, how exciting! I saw the kitchen pics on the BCD girls blog and it looks fantastic! Make sure to get lots of yummy seafood while you're out there. How I miss Maryland crab!

Unknown said...

Move over "Cucina Magica" here come the "Kitchen Stadium"!!! Can't wait for the pics!!!

Agent W & The Derf