Thursday, April 19, 2007

Mrs. de-I Surprise Trip - Day 1

Success! Or Mrs. de-I is a great liar. We went to the airport today and she discovered where we were going. I gave her the option of my telling her a day at a time what was going to happen or getting the whole itinerary at once. She's opted for the former.

We arrive in San Francisco this morning arriving at around 10 AM. We are staying at the Parc 55 Hotel which is just a little south of Union Square just off of Market Street. Much to my surprise the hotel had a room available for us to check into even though it was morning. This was welcome since we would have had to schelp around the computer and camera bags otherwise. We grabbed some lunch at a historic restaurant by the name of Sears. We had eaten there for breakfast the last time we went to S.F. which was many, many years ago. It has changed hands since then but the food was pretty good. Wife had fish and chips. I had a clam chowder that was very light with lots of fennel in it - a surprisingly good combination. I also had a Pan Bagnat sandwich which had spanish canned tuna (considered the thing by many foodies), onions, lettuce, radishes, olives and hard boiled egg. Except for the bread which was non-descript, the innards were great.

I have arranged for Wife to have an afternoon at a spa where she will get a massage, a facial, a pedicure and a manicure. Mrs. de-I was wondering if the manacurist was going to be able to do anything with her nails since she has been laboring so much in the garden...farm girl chic?

This evening we have a reservation for a restaurant by the name of Quince. If this is anything close to what I've read, this should be a great meal. I had picked it out from an article on San Francisco eateries in the Wine Spectator but never thought too much about getting a reservation. Then 3 weeks ago, I'm reading the Wall Street Journal and there's this article on how to get reservations at the impossible places...and right on the list is Quince. I'm screwed. But I called anyway and sure enough they had a late reservation which fit my schedule fine.

So foodie-ites, I will try to do my best to remember the details of the dishes and report back. I've got another neat day set for Wife tomorrow.

4 comments:

alexis said...

Awww, you're such a great husband!!! Sears, is that the place we went, or was this another trip? I have such fleeting memories of SF: China town, the trollies, and waiting in line for breakfast and then getting really good pancakes.

stef said...

Ooooo. So did she like the spa? Need the dinner report!

Pulisha said...

Mom, you must take a picture of the farm girl chic treatment. I'm dying to know what it looks like! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the surprise is going well. I am awaiting each new report. Happy birthday, Mrs. de-I.