Thursday, April 5, 2007

Back From Chicago

I'm back home after a busy 3 days in Chicago. We had successful conclusion with one client that gives us a solid set of references. More conversations with Lakeview's friend Ricardo on possibly linking up with The PG. Good progress on with other clients as well.

As part of the wooing of Ricardo, I took he and his wife to dinner (yeah I had to take Lakeview too. He was driving and I didn't trust him to just drop me off and come back and get me). We went back to Scylla. It was every bit as good as last time.

Lakeview had this lobster soup that was to die for to start with. Ricardo had some fish with pork belly combo. I had gnocchi with clams in a broth. And Mrs. Ricardo had ...I can't remember. Main courses were equally good with LV going for this really neat risotto with this pesto pea stuff that we were all trying to analyze. Mrs R headed for the trout (yes AinA I avoided the "trout story"). While R and I went for the meat options. We had two wines from Italy, neither of which I remember except they were good. When we were done, R asks if any one is going to have dessert. I said no but they had a 25 year old cognac on the menu for about a half of what I see at most places. When I mentioned it R's eyes started to light up. So we ended up splitting one. Anyone who likes good cognac needs to be a part of The PG.

I know Lakeview doesn't want others to find this little gem and spoil it, but I want the young lady chef/owner to succeed. (We actually got to meet her). So you Chicagoites - make sure you visit.

Yesterday night I was with Motherrocker, J the Armenian and the Dukes. Dukes was especially cute and cuddly for the ole Grandpa. We were all tired so we just ordered pizza in which was a treat for de-I since I haven't had any in quite some months. Made up for it with alcohol. I had bought MR a bottle of 2000 Bordeaux from Saint Julian when we were at Just Grapes on Monday and I stopped for some Belgian Ales for J on the way to. Managed to hit a favorite of his which was nice. Even restocked my supply of cognac at their house (no not 25 year old). Then we all stayed up and watched the Daily Show and Colbert Report with lots of loud laughing. Very therapeutic.

On the plane home today, I had one of these jerks who thinks that the arm rest between two people is just for him.

4 comments:

alexis said...

I hate that!!! I usually shove back.

Sounds like a great time in Chicago - but tell me, what is John's favorite BE beer??

stef said...

Dad- apparently Miss D was looking for you all morning yesterday. She kept asking, "Where's Granpa?".

AinA- not sure that JtheA has ONE favorite, but he likes Duvel for sure and that's what was brought.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I was up early so I decided to get the cab thing over and head out to the airport so I missed more Dukes time :(

Anonymous said...

Good post, even for a foodie. It's a fine line to walk with a good restaurant....tell people, but not too many. Since they recently LOWERED their prices, maybe it's a good idea.