Sunday, October 9, 2022

Evening Fortress

I have now settled into two different morning walks of about 2 miles with which I open my day. One is a loop that goes through the lower old town, back through the upper old town and then crosses over the new town. I will be giving a pictorial on that in the next few days. The other is a straight shot east through the lower old town and out the other side following the coast until you get to a lighthouse.

At that point you overlook the town's harbor. Across the water is a rocky prominence and on it, ruins. It is not unusual to see ruins in this area of long history. But, when I come in my morning walk, the sun is rising behind the ruins and you can barely even see them, let alone take pictures of them. I've often thought they must look really good when the sun is setting.

I did a preliminary visit to scope out where I would shoot from. It turned out that the size of the harbor area, in particular the marina where I would be taking most of my pictures, was much larger than it looked from afar. This was going to be physically demanding. Typically when dealing with the setting sun, you don't have a whole lot of time of good light. So if you are covering a lot of distance, to get different angles, you had better be prepared to be moving.

It is about a mile from our apartment to the harbor area and I gave myself plenty of time. However, as I was making the walk, I noticed that there was far more shadow than I anticipated on this other side of the Rock. I had miscalculated the position where the sun was going to set. I had a sinking feeling that I would get to the harbor and my target would be bathed in shadow rather than light. But as luck would have it, the sun actually was setting on the other side of the rock allowing its dying rays to bath the ruins. 

I had a good 45 minutes running around the area taking shots. The quality of the light was not as good as I expected but it was still a fun shoot.

Results

Here is the overall lay of the land where I did the shoot

 
I approach 
 

OMG! I have uncovered the secret lair of the cruise ship bus tours!

Making my way through around the harbor area checking out the shooting angles



Shots at full light










As the light departs


Departing as the target is barely still lit



1 comment:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Now that you have discovered the secret lair of the bus tours, I assume you will be leading a covert crack team to take out the enemy?