Wednesday, March 23, 2022

The Invisible Hand Continues To Move Us Forward

 I have more than once on these pages made reference to my belief that something much greater than I is moving this Theodora Africa Project forward. I simply am not smart, visionary, competent or capable enough to have things coming together the way they are. 

Just two posts ago I waxed poetically on the remarkable transformation I have witnessed in our first group of participants. This week we have been dealing with our need to expand our office space. The space we have now is nice enough. But it is way far in the downtown part of Accra. Since getting affordable housing requires being far out of town (not dissimilar to many large cities in the US), this can mean hours of travel in each direction. So we set as one of our goals for Phase II getting space in an area that was more accessible to our base of participants.

A problem is that these areas are among the priciest in town. So what are the chances on the very first week looking at potential alternatives, the near perfect location would become available? Evidently pretty high if there is someone or something out there looking after you. 

I was somewhat skeptical but we had various board members out to look at the location. They announced unanimously it as (and I quote) "probably the best possible property we could find taking into account location, accessibility, price and ability to grow." What are the chances of that kind of consensus happening? It is large enough to take care of our projected needs for the next five years. We will still need to raise a fair chunk of capital to pull of as a lot of services combined in our current space, we will need to pay for separately. 

But at this stage of the game, almost nothing surprises me.

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Yay! Toasting your good luck from over here.

alexis said...

I bet it's better than a lot of offices in the US !