Monday, March 28, 2022

Do Over

 January's return from Ghana was a complete mess. On top of bad managed jet lag arriving, the mess of returning took 54 hours and luggage two days later. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I ordered a 'Do Over' for this month's trip and everything went fine. I did a superb job of managing the jet lag in both directions even to the extent of having a full 7 hours of sleep yesterday (Sunday night) on my arrival. 

I had managed to get my return leg on Air France. Gastronomic Home Run! Seriously, most airlines even in Business Class are just trying to get by with as little as possible to ensure some shot at profitability. But on Air France...I don't know, maybe it is Gallic arrogance about their culinary heritage. But the food and drink were way beyond anything I've had in recent years. Each item was quality...not easy in an airplane galley I would add. And the alcohol...this is where the difference really showed. The wines were truly nice, and in once case, a Pouilly Fuisse from Burgundy, excellent. One of the flight attendants made a point of making this aware to me before we took off for Dallas from Paris. I normally drink red, but he was totally right! 

Then there were the 'after dinner digastifs', the brandies that the French claim cut through all the heavy food to aid digestion. I love my French Brandy. There were three choices, each way better than you would find even in many restaurants. My serving flight attendant was having a great time describing them to me and finally gave me a tasting of all three! There was a Cognac, an Armagnac, and a Calvados. Each was of XO quality (take my word for it, you NEVER see that on other airlines). After the tasting, I chose the Calvados. Bliss. This is the way to air travel. He would have kept plying me with this all trip but I would never have made my jet lag management goal.

I really wish I could afford Air France for my Ghana trips regularly...sigh.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hooray for regression to the mean....
from the very mean of the last trip

alexis said...

perhaps cognac is the key to quick jet lag recovery

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

That sounds amazing! I'm glad you wrote about your experience, because I don't expect to ever be able to afford Air France business class.