Sunday, March 20, 2022

Revelation

 At Theodora Africa, we deal with mutual cultural surprises and disclosures all the time. My last trip, I was commenting on a local snack mix which was quite a bit crunchier than what one would find in the States. (Note: Being a 'texture' eater in Ghana is the polar opposite of the U.S. They like things that require a lot of chewing and crunching when it isn't FuFu which is soft and slippery). I promised I would bring supply of U.S. snacks when I came next. 

So I brought Costco/Kirkland Mixed Nuts without Peanuts, (the official nut mix of the upper middle class - literally I have referenced these with fellow professionals around the country and been served them in many places in the country.) AND, I had Wife make up a batch of her Chex Mix. This Chex Mix has been a Wife tradition since Christmas of 2021 (when desperate for a snack idea for the arriving #1's, she remembered it from childhood and looked up a recipe. It was a hit). I figured what could be more American than Chex Mix.

The nuts, of course, were immediately a big hit. However, the Chex Mix was viewed with quite a bit of suspicion. At least until first bite, as captured on this video.






 

2 comments:

alexis said...

I still love this video!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

This is just like those "candid" commercials of yesteryear where they secretly replaced the coffee with Folgers Crystals. Marvelous!