Thursday, February 10, 2022

Transition 3.0 Update 2022

 It was almost exactly a year ago when I announced and wrote about what I call Transition 3.0. So what has happened over the last year? Has the transition played out as anticipated? Has it disappointed? Is there a Transition 4.0 on the horizon.

I can happily report that Transition 3.0 has turned out as good as I would have hoped. No, that's not correct. It has turned out way better than I would have hoped. 

As a loyal reader, you are well aware that the Theodora Project has continued to develop and grow. So that aspect of the transition plan continues to provide stimulation and satisfaction. You will also be aware that we're back on the travel bandwagon. The trip to Sicily in the fall revived all our sidelined travel lust. We have two big trips booked for this coming year and are joyously looking forward to them. But there are two other elements that have been added to the mix. The Rotary Club to End Human Trafficking (RCEHT) and Lunchclub, a virtual networking organization.

RCEHT is very unusual in the Rotary world as it is a cause-based, virtual club. The vast majority of Rotary clubs are associated with a geography. They clubs of local people who band together to do good things, network and enjoy fellowship. But this club exists for a specific purpose. It wishes to be international in scope. And as a virtual club it has members all over the country and the world. It also has members from virtually every age segment from very dynamic people in their 20's to older folks like myself. Originally, I joined because I thought it would be a good vehicle to promote Theodora within Rotary. But what has happened is I have been drawn into the bigger mission. I find the leadership to be really wonderful people with a great vision and an openness to different ways of thinking. As a result, I have some of young participants from Theodora in the club and in significant positions. And I have been drawn into a leadership position where I am getting a chance to create a potentially dynamic project from the ground up.

Lunchclub has allowed me to recreate my network all over again. The prior network I had developed over the decades no longer served my new purpose. It had gotten stale and unrewarding. But this virtual, AI driven Lunchclub platform has allowed me to meet a wide variety of people around the world that are in tune with my new life's direction. I am using all the networking and connecting skills developed over decades and building new and stimulating relationships.

So here I sit in my mid-70's pursuing projects that are inspiring and exciting. Meeting people from all over the globe. Learning and growing. Extending my network of contacts and enjoyable acquaintances with people across generations. It is true that I am putting in a lot of effort. But with such a wonderful reward of stimulation and engagement.

I've had a lot of people say to me, "You certainly seemed to have failed at retiring." If by that they mean, I have failed at sitting around reminiscing about my past, I would have to agree. But then again, I never sought out retirement. I sought transition to a new life that was different than the work-a-day life of most of one's adult years. I sought new meaning, growth and transformation. In that I have succeeded in spades.

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

The forums I read joke about "the retirement police" who will come get you if you aren't resting and relaxing as much as the general public seems to think people without a job should do. You'd definitely be in trouble...

alexis said...

I am glad you have found new people!