Saturday, February 5, 2022

Losing Is Winning

 My long-time friend and lover of football (REAL FOOTBALL not that American run around with the ball in your hands version), the Count, have a long tradition of betting on the results of certain games. This started innocuously enough as he is a passionate supporter of the English Premier League team Chelsea, and I am a passionate supporter of no one. But for some reason we decided that I would root for a recently promoted minnow team (I can't even remember their name!) that clearly was going to go nowhere. We jokingly bet a meal on a game where my team was visiting Chelsea where no minnow would be expected to win. But no! They did win. Next year, I jokingly up the ante with a double or nothing offer. Damn my team won again. This improbable run continued through a third year with the Count now in debt to having to visit Ghana! (More on this in a future post).

We then zeroed things out and started over. Our next bet ended up with me losing and the price was I had to go to lunch at a fast food place called Arby's to mock my usual culinary focus. Yesterday was pay up day.

I approach feeling a little like Christians being fed to the lions in the Colosseum

Gad, how many freaking options are there. One of the Counts people say I should try the Fish Sandwich. I hate Fish Sandwiches. No way.

The Count orders the improbable Gyro with Lamb. Who serves lamb in a U.S. fast food place? Evidently Arby's does. I really like lamb. I am going to give it a try too.

Damn! It's really good. Real meat. Not the reconstituted meat paste that you get at so many Greek places here in Albuquerque (including some higher end ones!)

I can see this being something I will be going back for. Who would have believed?

5 comments:

Tom P said...

LOL- was much better than expected!!!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

That is not how I expected the story to end! (And it is not how the story would end if this vegetarian had to visit Arby's. Although I remember loving their sauce back when I was a kid...)

Tim said...

How do you go to Arby's and not get the Roast Beef on Cheddar?

alexis said...

All I can remember of Arby's is the texture of the meat-food. So weird. And I instantly envisage a cira-90's East Coast food court.

Tom P said...

It is an Arby’s copout- will get him back to arbys to eat the roast beef or fish sandwich. He will lose another bet soon enough.