Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Sicily 2021 #5 - Going For Baroque - Noto

 Monday was time to head out and get serious about touring. Sicily's history goes back millennia and has a wealth of ruins covering all its periods. In future posts, I will go into more depth on the complexity of its history. On the Eastern side of Sicily, however, many of the older towns were destroyed in a massive earthquake that took place in the 17th century. They rebuilt and are almost all in the Baroque style. I have written a lot about the Baroque period (such as this post in 2018 in Lecce, Italy) in the past so will not go into too much detail other than to say 1) I've seen a ton of it and 2) It is not my favorite architectural/design style. However, it was close by, and we needed to start getting back into the swing of travel again.

As luck would have it, getting into the swing of travel was an understatement. There have been many, many times over the years where a 'slight' error in driving has led to hair raising flights of twists and turns up and down the most narrow of roads in these old European cities. It happened here when the GPS had the address of the parking wrong. Wife says I was the picture of calm. Maybe she was too terrified to see MY Terror! But we got back to the parking met up with the #3's, did some photo shooting, had a rather forgettable meal, did more photo shooting and then headed back. A good first step back into the travel tour routine.

Photos

In the Center of Noto













Despite us being in Sicily at the very end of the season and a season circumscribed by the pandemic, there are STILL CRAZY DUTCH TOURISTS!

 Photo Shoot!

Somehow I convinced the two granddaughters 3.1 and 3.2 that it would be fun to do some posing for a photo shoot. So I brushed up on techniques I learned when doing a model photo shoot in Ghana. The girls and I had a lot of fun. It was awkward for them in the beginning but I hope we get a chance to do some more.











2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I love the photo of 3.1 looking over her shoulder!

alexis said...

I enjoyed the post back to Lecce - like getting x2 the value out of that walking tour!