Friday, October 29, 2021

Sicily 2021 #15 - San Vito Lo Capo - The Resort Off Season

 Wife and I have a definite preference for traveling to places during the shoulder or off seasons. Fewer people, fewer of the negative aspects of tourism related to people beating you up to buy things, easier accommodations, easier to get into restaurants, cooler weather, etc. This is balanced by lots of things closing up, shorter hours, not being able to use pools (see cooler weather above). In the case of this trip, we were very reluctant (I've said earlier) to book reservations before arriving due to the risk of Covid related cancellations. Coming during the shoulder, bordering on off-season has made making reservations on the go much easier. 

On Thursday we made our way to a resort town at the end of a peninsula named San Vito Lo Capo. It is definitely a place that caters to the beach and sun set. It was a bit like a ghost town which inspired my photos.

The Resort At Rest

There is no particular rhyme or reason to these pictures. The whole area was like it was a dog turning its multiple times before going to sleep and I wanted to capture that feeling.

First an aerial view of another town we passed along the way, Castellammare Del Golfo

On to San Vito Lo Capo










Serendipity


Culinary Interlude

As has been the case so often on this trip, our eating was a mixture of good and not so good

These are a local specialty I'd been meaning to try. They are called Panelle. They are a chickpea paste that is breaded and fried. You squeeze lemon on them. They were good but not a good choice given the rest of the meal.

For I had ordered this Putinesca style pasta with seafood. The pasta was a bit thick for my personal preference but OMG the sauce was killer. I could not stop eating it. But with the Panelle, it was a bit of carb overload.

Wife, in search of fresh fish, got what they claimed was the only 'catch of the day'. I think it was the catch of a few days ago. Red Fish grilled that were decidedly mediocre.

But then there were these that Wife ordered. Chips/Fries. They were like nothing we've had. They were cut in rounds. They curled slightly but were definitely fries and not potato ships. They were exquisitely crispy even as they cooled and perfectly salted. But OMG eating these (I helped Wife out a lot) with the pasta and Panelle was carb overload! This was a place that really could deep fry. I wish I had tried their fritto misto - a selection of deep fried seafood.


Signs Of the World

 
This is a sign telling you all the things you should and should not do to keep Covid under control. Please note the very bottom. Evidently playing paddle ball is one of those no-no's. I suspect if you overlaid the prevalence of paddle ball popularity in the United States where most of our major Covid breakouts are, you would would find a strong correlation.

2 comments:

alexis said...

I feel now that I don't like fish, I miss a lot of ups and downs in the culinary adventure world.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Those fried potato things, whatever their name, look amazing! I have never mastered the knack of homemade french fries, but they are also super messy to cook so I don't try too often.