Saturday, October 2, 2021

Becoming The Game Player

 Simon Sinek in his recent book, The Infinite Game, talks about how in many aspects of life (but especially business and politics) people act as if they are part of a game, but a game that has winners and losers. He posits this is a grave misunderstanding of how life unfolds. He makes the case that the game is in fact infinite, that it never ends, that there is no winner or loser, only the act of trying to get better and better, serving more and more.

Coming back from my recent trip to Ghana with all the stress that was associated with it, I've recognized that I am really burnt out. That makes sense. Since committing to this in 2019, I have been driving and driving to get it to a point where either we could see it have a chance of succeeding or not. Definitely a 'win or lose' type of mentality. But at the same time, a number of things have taken place that have put the whole venture in a different light. 

Whereas when we started, it was about "Can something like this even be done?", the last five months have brought to light not only can it be done, but the concept represents an opportunity to do things on much, much greater scale. The potential is to create a model that could revolutionize how the intractable problem of unemployment and women's abuse in Africa is handled. (I will go into that discussion in a future post). 

So coming home, realizing I needed a break, I was filled with a feeling I wasn't sure I had the energy ultimately to push the project over the hump to sustainability. This is where (as it has so often in this project) a person provided me with some critical insight. I mentioned my frustrations to the program participant who has been the longest serving. She often serves as a reality check for me. Her comment was very direct. 'Stop worrying. This is meant to be. It will all be fine.'

Wow. What a blessing. This said from one of the people I worry most about serving. It started me on a new train of thought. I realized that if I thought of the project as an 'Infinite Game', I didn't need to worry about if we were 'making it'. I just needed to focus on adding the pieces that were necessary for the 'game' to grow and expand. I don't do computer games but I understand there is a whole genre where you set about to create your own world. I am realizing this is what is happening with the Theodora Project. We are creating our own world. 

It is going to be a long, long process. No doubt longer than I will be around with it. I just need recognize my role in the game. I need to be the one adding the players. Adding to the team that will take the game on and on. And that's happening! I have managers now in Ghana. I have my Boards both in the U.S. becoming more engaged. I have volunteers who are taking significant roles. And I am sure as we go through the search for growth financing, I will find the right economic partner as well. 

We (Wife and I) have our first international trip since the pandemic started coming up in a couple of weeks. I am going with a sense that everything is fine. I just need to be the patient game player, playing the infinite game.

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

What a great perspective, for so many areas of our lives.

alexis said...

get more Covid tests!