Tuesday, August 2, 2011

No Change-Good News

Around 9 years ago I found out that I had glaucoma, an eye disease that can lead to blindness. My Dad went blind because of a combination of glaucoma and cataracts. He got his around the same age as I did.

I am very blessed that medical science came a long, long way in the 20 ensuing years. Now if you catch it early enough it is much, much more rare for someone to go blind from it. I go into the eye doctor three times a year for a check up and once a year they do a complete work up. This includes this field of vision test (kind of like playing a computer game), and pictures of your retina, etc, etc.

Each year that I go in, I'm always just a little nervous because you wonder if you are going to start deteriorating. The sweetest words at these check ups are "No Change. Everything is stable".

I feel very blessed.

4 comments:

terri said...

I am so happy that your condition is not worsening. I know that much of your enjoyment in life comes from what you see with your eyes. It would be a tough adjustment to be without that sense.

Mike said...

Glad to hear all is well!

alexis said...

so glad to hear it!! I still scratch my head how all we girls dodged that bullet - though perhaps it's just the early age bullet and we will need to be careful in later life

Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad to hear there is no change!