Friday, August 19, 2011

Cooking Event of Epic Proportions - Part 3, Hot Sauces, Salads, Desserts

No de-I cooking event would be complete without Wife's additions of fantastic desserts. For this event she's making three crisp/cobbler type desserts - peach (made with the last of our peaches from last year...no peaches this year because of the cold, sob), rhubarb strawberry, and rhubarb blueberry.



8:00 Am - You don't cook for lots of people without adequate help.
We've noted many times on these pages that rather than look for the illegal Mexican help that is prevalent here, we prefer indentured Minnesota labor.
Ginger Chile Relish (India)

Pick a bunch of green chile from your garden
Seed and cut into thin slices
Do the same for a big ole piece of ginger

Get about a half a cup of fresh lemon juice

Mix with some sugar and salt and let sit for at least a day.
Rajas Poblanos

Saute onions for around 10 minutes

Add chopped garlic, Mexican oregano, thyme, and salt cook for another minute

Slice roasted poblano chiles from your garden

Mix chiles in and take of heat
Two Toned Potato Salad

I don't have the recipe for this because wife made it. But it has both white and sweet potatoes plus capers, onions, parsley, mustard, mayonnaise, and celery.
4:00 PM - Indentured Minnesota laborer still at it.



Where we got our recipes

Correspondent In the Sticks asked if we had searched the Internet for the recipes or if we made them up. We actually went to our library of cookbooks primarily Mahdur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian, Rick Bayless' Secrets of Mexican Cooking, and Richlen's Barbeque Bible.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy!! And those desserts look amazing!! My grandmother used to use rhubarb a lot but I didn't taste much of it because I thought it 'rhubarb' sounded terrible.

terri said...

The two-toned potato salad.... YUM! That's a great twist on a traditional favorite.

I hope you rewarded your indentured Minnesota servant for all of her hard work. You better have! (Sorry to yell at you, but I've gotta take care of my fellow Minnesota peeps.)

alexis said...

phew, I am really wondering if I'll be able to stand the heat of those chile dishes come December. Some of them look hardcore!

alexis said...

phew, I am really wondering if I'll be able to stand the heat of those chile dishes come December. Some of them look hardcore!

bilant said...

Hmmm this recipe looks so delicious and nice and i think that fits perfect with my taste and in my opinion is a very easy recipe, so i think i will try it. Thanks for sharing.

Mike said...

All of that looks delicious. Your guests will be very excited.