Monday, August 17, 2009

Shortest Electronic Device Use Ever

A number of people have encouraged me to get away from the wi-fi hot spot world get a wireless phone device that would have my computer connect to the internet via a cellphone connection. In theory, this has lots to recommend it by because it would mean no searching for hots pots but having connection anywhere there was phone signal.

There is a new device being sold by Verizon and Sprint called a Mi-Fi which accomplishes this but connects to your computer through its wireless port and allows more than one user. Pretty cool. Not cheap each month but it would allow me to eliminate a hot spot subscription.

We got the device. I spent three hours on Friday trying to make it work. Finally got my computer and it to talk to each other but couldn't get on the internet. Went to various places around town to make sure it wasn't a cell phone signal problem. Called Verizon help line. They were no help at all.

On Saturday, I packed up the device and we sent it back (got it back within the three day window to get a full refund and out of the contract). Subscribed to a second hot spot service that greatly expands the outlets I can get and my net is 33.3% less. Will try again next year.

3 comments:

stef said...

Wow- sounds like a cool device and service-if it worked. ;)

Mike said...

Verizon wasn't helpful to you? Hmm... that's weird. *snicker*

Those wi-fi cards are really cool. I'm too cheap to drop the cash to buy one, but a buddy of mine has one. I'm content with being jealous of his.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Awwww, booo. I saw that Mi-Fi commercial and it looked cool. Maybe in another year it will work better. It's still pretty new. Sounds like you found a good alternative though.

My verification word is: enzyme