Friday, August 28, 2009

Remember - Happy Birthday

Not anyone's specific birthday. Just the song.

Why?

Because evidently (according to healthcare pro Lovely Laura, GF of Lakeview Coffee), there is an expert internationally on hand washing and the key is vigorous friction for a specified period of time. That period is about 15 seconds or the amount of time it takes to sing one verse of Happy Birthday (if you aren't speed singing).

The regular washing of hands has been shown to be the best single thing we can do to prevent the distribution of disease especially things like the flu.

So remember - Happy Birthday with vigorous friction.

9 comments:

terri said...

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the ABC song work well too.

I have a coworker who uses Happy Birthday to time her hand washing. She was singing as she washed one day and another coworker emerged from a stall, looking confused and said, "It's not my birthday!"

Might be good to remember to sing it to oneself rather than out loud.

WeaselMomma said...

Hmmm, sounds like my love life.

Bernice said...

I think it would make life more interesting if we all sang in the public restrooms.:)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Since we talked about it, I've been doing it too. Crazy....I need a better song.

Stef said...

i thought it was supposed to be Happy Birthday twice. Maybe they have reduced the time though...

Anonymous said...

Since I mentioned reading this on your blog, Andrew's been singing Happy Birthday to the cat every time he washes up. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

(Um, that last comment was from Renee Michelle.)

Anonymous said...

I've heard that hand sanitizer is better for you than washing hands, though I always wash my hands. Sometimes I use both.

Mike said...

"Happy Birthday with vigorous friction."

Hahahaha!! Classic quote!