Sunday, August 16, 2009

More Cooking From the Garden

Wife's garden is really putting out this year...No not that kind of putting out...I mean producing lots of fruits and vegetables.

I found we had a score of tomatoes and green chiles plus a single zucchini. For some reason the squash are not doing well this year. The following dish took all of 45 minutes to make and comes in at under 400 calories for a nice big bowl. And it's very tasty and nutritious to boot.

Tomatoes and Squash
Green Chile already peeled and seeded.
Our chile is not very hot this year (all the rain we've had I think)
Since this is a regional specialty you could replace it with bell pepper roasted (or not) or put in some other hot pepper flavoring.

Sauteed onions and garlic - the backbone of most soup/stew dishes

Beans are providing the protein/filler role. I chose black beans for this.

The tomatoes and zucchini chopped and added. I didn't bother to peel and seed the tomatoes because it was already late.

I had a left over grilled chicken breast so I decided to put that in as well.
Once I added the beans I put in a little chicken stock base (I use Better than Broth brand) and a little water to thin things out a bit. Salt and pepper were the other flavorings - pretty basic but the chile and the tomatoes were the main flavor components.

The finished dish

7 comments:

alexis said...

there is something depressing about mentioning the number of calories in a food dish, but it does look very tasty!

terri said...

Yum!

Our garden is finally producing too. I'm going to be eating lots of salads this week with all the cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. Last night we enjoyed home grown cauliflower. And by the time fall arrives, we'll have lots of acorn squash.

Anonymous said...

Better than Broth is the only prepared soup base I use, and that's all due to your recommendation. It's great stuff.

Mike said...

You should have your own cooking show.

stef said...

Is it just me, or does the chicken appear to be floating in that picture? It's me right?

de-I said...

Oh no Stef the chicken is definitely floating. It has many fewer calories when it the weight of gravity is released.

Anonymous said...

Or, you could write your own cookbook, complete with step by step photos of what you do. I would definitely buy it.