Wednesday, July 2, 2008

World's Least Intelligent Hummingbird?

I clearly don't understand what makes hummingbirds tick. If you were a tiny bird looking for a quiet place to raise a family would you put your nest on a precarious perch that is designed to sway in the wind, make lots of noise. Put your nest next to the entrance way of a species that comes in and out and is hundred's of times your weight and whose own noisy grandchildren invade on a regular basis.

Well this one hummingbird has in fact made a nest and is nesting on top of the wind chime on our back patio. Yes the patio where we eat almost nightly during the summer and is directly off of our kitchen. Is this the equivalent of a teen aged, pregnant, crack head hummingbird? As I write this the wind is picking up (as it does most afternoons this time of year) and our bird is sitting on its nest (I presume their are eggs there) as the wind chime chimes away. Maybe she likes the chiming? It seems a bit weird to me.

Thanks Wife for the great pictures!




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you've got us beat! We have a resident robin raising her children under the eaves but on top of the drain pipe from the gutters. Actually, I think we're all glad that she stayed- last year we had a robin kick out the purple finches and earlier this year our robin had lost an egg.

Still,a hummingbird on the chimes is neat! Nice photos too.

stef said...

How cool is that? The kids must love it.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome. But not logical. Clearly not a bird trained in the ways of Vulcan.

Bernice said...

I have two hummingbird feeders and watch them chase each other away since they are very territorial but haven't seen their nest. Great picture.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome. Maybe this hummingbird was raised under some wind chimes, and she finds the sound to be a calming reminder of her carefree and nurturing days as a baby chick. Or maybe she's just a whack job. Either way I love her!

A not-too-bright robin chose the tall shrub right outside my front door as the place to lay her eggs this season. The first brood we got along just fine, but now that the second batch of eggs has hatched she's showing decreasing tolerance for my presence. I got dive-bombed by about six adult robins yesterday because I had the gall to try to take my dog for a walk. (Did you know robins protect their young in packs??? I guess it takes a village....

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Can't wait for the hummingbird to dive at your bagel and lox breakfast! Ha!!

That's pretty cool though. Maybe the chimes are soothing?? I assume that's why you have them up to begin with. Hey...that almost makes sense. Sweet.

Anonymous said...

I need to see this hummingbird that resides on the chimes..seems like a brave birdie.
I am just waiting for this bird to fly into the house now...