Friday, June 27, 2008

Organ Donation Chronicle - D plus Six Weeks

This last Wednesday marked the six week mark since the operation. I was in Chicago most of this week on my first business trip since the operation. I was talking to Lakeview Coffee in the car on my way to Motherrocker, John the Armenian, Miss Dukes, and Wife and he chided me for not giving an update on my sister. I hate to admit when he's right.

Sister Judy is doing pretty well. It was a rough go for her right after the operation. She was pretty weak from the kidneys malfunctioning. Plus which she's probably a bit less stoic than I am about dealing with pain (I think she was hitting the brown narcotics button pretty good at the hospital). Then she got one of these nasty hospital staph infections and had to go on an intravenous anti-biotic. It ended up taking her a week longer than me to get out of the hospital. Everyone should remember that Judy and I aren't exactly spring chickens either (60 and 57 respectively). We were definitely on the upper end of the spectrum of the age that they will do this.

So with that in mind, Judy is out and walking again getting in 30 to 40 minutes a day. She started driving. They have reduced to almost nothing the drugs they were giving here when her kidneys were malfunctioning meaning my kidney is doing what it's supposed to (better damn well! We don't traffic in no shit body parts!). They have greatly reduced the amount of immunosupressive drugs they are giving her. She complained to me that she was getting bored - that's a good sign. Finally, I've noticed a change in her communication. She's always had severe ADD and has trouble staying in a conversation before bouncing to another subject. Now she is stopping herself when she does it and allowing the other person to keep talking - a big change. We're definitely a lot closer than we were.

On my part, I'm feeling good. It was a little scary the first time on Monday when we went to the airport and I was feeling twinges with the various lifting - limited as it was. I was really glad Mrs. de-I insisted on coming on this trip. Fighter Pilot Girl emailed me and asked how Wife liked being the sherpa! You can bet that I didn't pass that one on.

By the end of the trip I was feeling much more confident and lifting quite a bit more but still trying to stay in the range of control. I can definitely still feel the incisions and definitely am not ready to go back to my sumo wrestling classes.

Finally the spiritual changes keep deepening. It's like the lessons are being absorbed deeper and deeper into my being. It is having a particular influence on my business.

So overall I'm super glad for my sister, I'm super grateful for having had the experience and I'm super ready to heal completely :)

4 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Good update! I'll pay more attention to your conversation and it won't cost you a kidney....just a 12 pack of good beer.

stef said...

Luckily I had hear most of the update in person when you spoke to her. But it is nice to see it in print too.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Aunt de-I is there to help you so you don't do any lifting you'll regret later. But it sounds like you're taking everything at a good pace. Good to hear about your sister.

Anonymous said...

"We don't traffic in no shit body parts!"

This still has me giggling.

I'm glad to hear you're both on the mend -- it sounds like Judy is having a much easier go of it than my brother did, stoic or not stoic! And don't worry. You'll be sumo wrestling in no time. I had my first big sumo match at about seven weeks out. No. Wait. I'm thinking of my first beer. Sumo might have been week eight.