Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sending Out An SOS

I may not be The Police but I could use some ideas from all you foodies out their. This weekend I have Tim de Buffalo and Pulisha coming over for dinner. I belong to this wine club where I get 4 bottles a month and typically T and P graciously agree to be tasters. For once they have successfully gotten a babysitter and so will be coming here for dinner. This is the first time I've had and excuse and hopefully the energy and stamina to really cook in a long time.

I have two bottles left, both reds, one a Chateauneuf du Pape and the other a Bourdeaux so I need to make two courses that go with strong reds. The main course is no problem but I'm having some problems coming up with an interesting first course. I was thinking of doing a duck salad with duck skin cracklings but Mrs. de-I is not a duck fan. Or something similar with salmon but T is not a fish eater. Or I thought of some cheese type of thing but Pu doesn't eat cheese. Then I thought about a fresh made pasta with a very strong meat broth/sauce but that's a lot of work.

I need some ideas foodies!

6 comments:

Erin said...

Hmmm, what about a pate of some sort? Not sure if that goes with red, but it's certainly rich. Or, baby lamb chops? Those are pretty easy - just marinate in some fresh herbs and olive oil and grill briefly, and I know those definitely go with red. They might break the bank though - that's the only downside. Can't wait to see what you decide! I'm sure it'll be great to be back in the kitchen...

Michael Podolny said...

Erin - I thought about the pate but thought buying charcutrie would be a cop out. Ms de-I is not a lamb person but small idea makes me think of quail...if I can find quail in ABQ!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Cheezits? That's about all I got.

stef said...

What about a red wine or mushroom risotto? Or just a saute of mushrooms on crostini for something lighter?

Anonymous said...

I think the vegetarian will have to abstain from answering this one. I like the mushrooms on crostini idea, though, because it leaves room for the main course.

alexis said...

what about a stew of some kind?