Friday, July 4, 2008

Hummingbird Update

I haven't had this much fun since I worked for Nature on PBS (before they fired me for always wanting to cook up the things they were filming).

It appears that our bird is now in full motherhood mode. She spends lots of time on the nest and occasionally uses her beak to work some things under her that I assume (or hope) are eggs. This of course is a great distraction since both Wife and I whenever we are in the kitchen are stopping to look through the kitchen window and see how things are going.

Of course there is a downside to this. Mrs. Bird has made it very clear that we really are not welcome on the patio. It was lovely at midday and we decided to take our lunch out, something we do often as here in desert NM flying biting bugs are pretty much non-existent. The whole time we're eating, Mrs. Bird (I'm assuming she's a Mrs. - she could be that crack head unwed mother bird for all I know) is buzzing around, not landing on her nest and making it very well known that we are invading her space. Of all the nerve! Well we know when we're not wanted and ate quickly and went inside. Whereupon Mother Bird (as I will call her from now on) promptly was back on the nest.

While we're hoping the blessed event will take place before we take off for "the sticks" and the reunion so we can get pictures, I don't think Mother Bird should be expecting any baby shower items from us.

3 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Her baby shower gift (which I think are a crock anyway....what you want me to buy you a gift because you successfully had sex?? shit, you should be buying ME a gift! YOU'RE the one who had all the fun!) is that you let her be! Good for you. How fun it will be when the hummingbirds return to Podolnyville like the swallows to Capistrano.

stef said...

Awwww. Too funny. I can't wait to the babies. :)

Anonymous said...

I hope those babies show up soon, or you'll never get to sit on your patio again. Thanks for the updates.