Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hug That Caregiver!

I was talking with Wife a couple of nights ago and we were going over all that had transpired over the last couple of months. As we were talking it became clear that she was in need of appreciation and release.

Over this whole period while I have been the focal point, she has been the quiet pillar of strength - doing what needed to be done, providing me with support and always in the very quiet, unassuming manner of hers. But of course when you are giving care, you want to be cared for too. But the real caregiver never asks for it; is almost embarrassed to ask for it because it would detract from the person that they are caring for.

Sometimes it seems as if the caregiver takes on this super strong persona because they feel it is essential to achieve the mission of care that they are entrusted with. We have a very good friend who posts (who I will not name because she's Italian and probably would send out a hit man if I did!!!!) who has gone through three very serious events with family members and I'm not sure she gets a fraction of the attention or credit that she deserves for all the loving care she has provided.

If I accomplished anything in the process of my kidney donation, it was only because I had a partner who was totally behind me and supportive of me and who took upon herself to be my caregiver. I am richer beyond belief for having this.

And if you have a caregiver in your life or family, don't take their, "I don't need any support; I'm stronger than the world" persona at face value. They need recognition. They deserve recognition. Give them a hug.

7 comments:

alexis said...

big virtual hug from NL!!

stef said...

Big virtual hug from chicago!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yeah, I got nuthin'. I'm going to hug MY mom!!

Anonymous said...

It's a virtual hug fest.
Peace, love, and hugs!!

Unknown said...

Hugs to you and your pillar of strength, Mrs. de-I! Another virtual hug...can you feel it!!!!

Agent W

Matty Lau said...

A shout out to all the caregivers of the world, especially Mrs. de-I.

Pulisha said...

Moms is awesome. I'm going to walk over to her house and hug her (take that AinA and MR! ;)