Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Organ Donation Chronicle - D Minus 1

Part Ten - Under 24 Hours

It’s 3:30 in the afternoon on Tuesday. By this time tomorrow, the operation will be over. After the almost two years, the moment has really arrived.

This most likely will be my last post until I am released from the hospital. They anticipate that I will be released next Sunday 18th. I’m not sure if I will be able to get access to my computer until after the release and I’m pretty sure there’s no wireless access. I have asked daughter Motherrocker to post-the updated news on the blog for me. I am so ready to get to the operating room and have this accomplished. It has been soooo long.

The weekend was uneventful. I just hung around my Dad’s and we did the stuff we usually do when I visit him. On Monday, I was back to the hospital for more stuff. This included getting my admission paperwork done, more blood work for both general health and final tissue matching, and a chest x-ray. Of course when I showed up there were no instructions for what was to be done with me. Evidently the transplant department hadn’t sent the appropriate work orders down. But I was in the computer system so they were able to get me processed until the orders came down. They give you a much more detailed explanation of what will happen the day of the surgery. I must admit I don’t particularly like hearing those details but I know it’s better than arriving and having no idea of what has happened. You stop eating around midday and are supposed to be off of anything including water after midnight. I’m supposed to be at the hospital at 5:50 in the morning with the surgery scheduled for 7:45. It should last 3.5 to 4 hours.

Wife arrived last night and my brother Richard came in the night before. We had a dinner together with my Dad, my sister and her husband.

I suspect that I will be very introspective tonight. I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful expressions of support and prayers on both my and my sister’s behalf and look forward to writing to you about the fun times in the hospital.

4 comments:

Pulisha said...

I am thinking about you, Daddy! We are all praying for you and Aunt Judy. I think you are the most wonderful, selfless person and I know everything is going to work out fine.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Good luck my man!! I hate that you can't eat or drink. Never agreed with that practice.

alexis said...

thanks for taking a few moments to talk with me last night, I was worried I wouldn't get a chance. This is your moment to shine! Not everyone's kidney gets a chance to work overseas, so to speak.

Jason Loper said...

Good luck with the surgery and recovery!