Friday, May 9, 2008

Organ Donation Chronicle - D Minus 5

Part Eight - It’s Becoming Reality

The chaos leading up to the trip was ultimately very beneficial. I was in fact tying up lots of loose ends with my business and getting things into position to go on autopilot for the period that I was to be down. The vacation itself was great. I really wasn’t thinking about anything other than what we were doing which was a blessing. On the flight back, my mind turned back to what was about to occur.

My associates and I made a decision to make a public announcement via our E-Letter of my unavailability during the surgery and recovery period. Our list is around 1000 and I must have had close to a hundred emails expressing support not to mention all the expressions of support from friends, clients and associates. It has been very humbling and touching.

My associates were doing a phenomenal job. We have new business opportunities being lined up for following the surgery. All the client work is in good shape. We had a financial hiccup with a lot of slow paying receivables that put Wife and I into a little panic. But with the help of our associates we put that to rest.

Wife and I did a lot of talking – a lot of making sure we were on the same page and were OK with the decision.

More miracles within the family – my father prodded me about making sure my sister had the proper support over the first few weeks after the surgery when there is the necessity of a highly disciplined regime of anti-rejection drugs she needs to be taking. This leads to me calling my older brother and asking for help that is gladly given...I don’t thing we’ve talked in over a year. We have a conference call with my two brothers, my father and I. We haven’t had this kind of discussion I think ever. My Dad is incredibly relieved that my older brother is going to following my younger brother coming to CT to provide support – and they haven’t had a very good relationship either. My younger brother is providing more and more emotional support to me. My sister is showing that she is truly committed to doing what she will have to do after the surgery.

Finally there isn’t a whole lot left to do other than pack and make my way to Connecticut. No more thinking or planning. Everything associated with everyday life has been programmed into the autopilot and set on its way to a point in the future when I will rejoin it. It is a very, very odd feeling. I’m mix of emotions and feelings from blissfully spiritually to fear of the unknown - a potential end to it all. And I’m on the plane to Connecticut. It is happening.

4 comments:

stef said...

I would love to see some of the correspondence you received some day.

Bernice said...

What an incredible journey you are on. And all the healing that has taken place before the surgery. Love and lots of positive energy from Ohio.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You're on the proverbial plane prior to your parachute jump. Geronimo!!!

alexis said...

I'm so impressed the family rallied! I know we are all really proud.