Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Organ Donation Chronicle - Current Status

Since a couple of readers asked, I will give you the current status.

Generally, I feel pretty good - in fact amazingly good considering how horrible I felt only 5 days ago.

My mental processes are back. I don't feel I need to focus 100% of my energy on getting myself through the pain. This means it's easy for me to talk to people, read, listen to music, do some work on the computer - which also means that I feel like a human again.

Physically, I'm substantially better. The main pain issue is the healing taking place where they made the incision right at the center of the gut. It feels like there is a porcupine inside of me and when I try to bend down or move to awkwardly, I really feel it. This is going to be around for a while.

I definitely am over doing it and based on Wife's adamant and correct advice, I'm going to honker back the next couple of days and try and just stick around the hotel. This is difficult because my sister is still in the hospital and her support needs are great in order for us to make sure that she does what she needs in order to have this be successful. However, my older brother is here now and Wife is fully committed to helping in this area as well so I can focus on healing.

Psychologically, I'm still dealing with the magnitude of what has occurred and what it means. That's going to take a while to figure out.

We are scheduled for our check out interview on Thursday and have changed our reservations to return to Albuquerque on Saturday afternoon arriving in the evening. It should be quite a feeling, walking back into our house.

9 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Good for you. Recovery is an art unto itself. Sounds like you're going about it smartly though (dialing back a bit). Hang in there!!

stef said...

A porcupine inside! Very vivid metaphor.

Michael Podolny said...

But a porcupine that is on a drastic diet I might add - on the positive side.

Anonymous said...

Wow, going home in a bit over a week. That'll be great.

Anonymous said...

We are proud of you and glad to hear you are doing much better, hang in there mister and take it easy!!

Matty Lau said...

You're moving again! YAY! Glad you are doing well. Maybe you can convince your inner porcupine to take up meditation/yoga to calm its quills.

Anonymous said...

How's your appetite? I made French onion soup yesterday and thought of you and Gloria (that's the last time I made it). Does your "drastic diet" forbid such things? Just curious. By the way, your recovery is amazing considering what you underwent.

Anonymous said...

We have been monitoring this odyssey for a couple of weeks now and the Porcupine comment compels me to mention that Porcupines only like to attack and kill trees. I think it’s just trying to escape or perhaps some sort of spirit guide…trying to escape. So, set it free somewhere along the trail! You’re a good man Charlie Brown and we admire and love you! So, pleased that your recovery is moving the right direction! Steve & Chere

Michael Podolny said...

Diana - my appetite is actually come back fine. I have no dietary restrictions, not like the recipient. I do have to watch certain drugs and medicines that are hard on the kidneys. For example I can't use Ibuprofen any more :( my favorite for arthritis.

Steve and Chere - my first metaphor was actually having a medieval mace in me - you know the ball with spikes on it? But I kept having to explain what a mace was so I switched to the porcupine as a better analogy. What is the spirit guide for a mace?