Sunday, May 25, 2008

Organ Donation Chronicle - Going Home

We couldn't just get a nice relaxing flight home. We had to have a bit of drama.

We were visiting my sister in the hospital one last time before we left, when I received an automated message from my good friends at United Airlines.

“Hello. This is an automated flight update message from United Airlines. Flight 1196…from Hartford to…Washington, Dulles will now be departing at…4:30 PM…”

I quick mental check – I remembered that there was a 2 hour wait in Washington for our flight on to Albuquerque. And our flight was originally scheduled to leave at 2:30 PM. That meant no making our connection. We said goodbye to Sister and we hightailed it to the airport. There was about an hour of agonizing while I worked our options on the phone but ultimately we decided to get in line at the airport. We were fortunate to get a flight the goes through Chicago and still have our first class seats. I was wiped out on the plane ride.

Tim de Buffalo picked us up at the airport. I had him stop so I could give Pulisha a quick hug. Then on to our home where I promptly collapsed and had the best sleep I’ve had since I headed out on May 9.

3 comments:

Bernice said...

There had to be one last drama, right? Glad to hear you are home. I am sure your recovery will be faster now, especially if Mrs. de-I keeps you in line.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You're finally home!! Whoo-hoo!!! Nothing like sleeping in your own bed.

alexis said...

now begins the real journey, discovering how you are changed by your experience!