Thursday, July 5, 2007

Wines of the Week in Review

Since last Friday I've had the chance to enjoy a number of good wines. On Friday since I had been out of town for a while I took wife out to a small French (yes LvC - FRENCH) place that allows you to bring your own bottle for a corkage fee. I like this since their wine list is fairly limited and it gives me a chance to use wines out of my cellar. I selected a Beckman 2004 Syrah which comes from the Santa Ynez valley near Santa Barbara, CA.

At a recent Chicago Just Grapes networking event we tried a Grenache from the same wine maker and were underwhelmed. However, this particular wine was kick butt! Wife's comment was, "Well if you would give me this kind of wine every day, I'd be a very happy camper." Here's the good news. We both agreed that this is a wine that is ready now. I have four more bottles. So if you are visiting the de-I household anytime soon, feel free to make a request.

On the Fourth we had dinner at our friends Wild Bill and Jill. Bill is recovering nicely from his injury. I in fact took him out for a short hike in the morning. We were eating a light summer meal of fajitas and drank two wines. The first was a rose from a small winery in Salinas, CA (Monterey County) that I've visited a number of times, Marilyn Remark. It's a rose on the heavier side made from grenache and syrah. It's a little light in acid but makes for a great wine to drink by itself as an aperitif. With dinner Bill brought out a Beaujolais, a Cote de Brouilly, one of the 12 designated areas of the Beaujolais region. I've drinking quite a bit of Beaujolais this summer but this one was quite distinct, very acidic, light, almost like a rose and it went very well with spiciness of the food.

Hope everyone else had a nice Fourth and has ate and drank well.

2 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I think that's the only good thing you can say about a french restaurant...if you can bring your own wine. I don't know, maybe someday I'll go to another frenchy place, but it's not likely.

Congratulations on having the wine come into it's own. That's the goal of collecting right?

alexis said...

mmmm, I'm inspired! I will look for these next time I'm out.