Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Gaining an Understanding of AinA's Paranoia

My fellow blogistadors turned me on to the the ancillary sites that you can use to track the data about who is actually visiting your blog. Doing this type of tracking is an interesting exercise in egoism. Obviously anyone who would go to the trouble of posting on a blog for any length of time has hidden writer syndrome. Ergo the more people that visit your blog the better.

However, these tracking programs do much more than just show you how often people come. It gives you data on if the hits are just spiders or search engines, how long people are on the site, how many pages they look at, etc. And you get the geographic location and frequency of visits by location.

This is a very interesting set of data. A quick perusal and you can see all the people you know visit on a regular basis....And you can can find the person who has visited many times from Mumbai, India. Mumbai? I don't know anyone in Mumbai. Who would want to visit my blog from Mumbai?

Welcome to the new world of de-I paranoia.

8 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I have a reader in Pensacola Florida. No idea who it is, but boy are they faithful about reading. Kind of cool....kind of weird.

alexis said...

wait, how can I figure out all that info? I can barely read the graph in the google stats I have now.

PS- the Mumbai may be a friend of my friend Big B, from MBA days. He's from Mumbai originally and they posted on my blog a while ago.

stef said...

Yes, I have an indian visitor too and I always thought it was via alexis.

Anonymous said...

Alexis - If you go to the Map Overlay and click on "view report" you go to a page that shows the continents. Under that if you click where it says "Detail : City" you'll see a list of all the cities and the frequency of visits

Pulisha said...

Hey! I wanna know how to do that, too! What sites do you use?

Xani said...

I spend WAAAY too much time looking at these stats! Our friend in Mumbai visits us as well. Sometimes the results are weird though--hits from my friend who lives in Cleveland show up as San Mateo, CA?!

Anonymous said...

Noble Pu - I use Google Analytics, https://www.google.com/analytics, but I understand there are others as well.

stef said...

pu- i use statcounter.com