Monday, July 2, 2007

Is There a Doctor in the House

Paging Dr. Podolny. Paging Dr. Podolny.

Yes there is a Dr. Podolny.

No, de-I was not given an honorary Ph.D in applied technology for learning how to pause and restart music on my i-pod this week (though I should have!)

No, we are talking about my brother, Richard, or as we are now required to call him Doctor. Richard received his MD on Sunday in Honolulu from the University of Hawaii School of Medicine.

My brother was kind of like the Pulisha of our family when he was growing up. He got a degree in engineering and promptly walked out of his new job with Pratt and Whitney Aircraft before even going a year in the job. Then it was on to being a Rolfer and then a burnt out Rolfer. He had a life changing experience with a friend who lost a child because they wouldn't use traditional medicine as well as alternative medicine. At this point his desire to become a complete healer was kindled.

He set out to pursue a career in medicine. The only problem was that he was in his late forties already. In spite of this he persevered and made it through to the end. Now he is a newly minted MD at the ripe age of 57. I've joked with him he was going to get his degree and apply for retirement the same week.

My hat's off to you Richard. I can't even imagine how you managed the studying, the tests, and the endless hours. I hope the next phase gives you the rewards you have hoped for.

3 comments:

alexis said...

indeed, congrats to Uncle R!! Ooops, DR. Uncle R that is!

stef said...

Congratulations to Uncle Richard!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

School in Hawaii! Quite an accomplishment just studying for a normal degree while living there (can you imagine the distractions??).