Sunday, December 24, 2023

Persevrance And Calm

This has been a year of frustration with Theodora Africa. One the one hand, our young women continue to advance beyond anything I would have imagined when we started. Their capability, commitment, and personal growth advance. On the other hand, we are not where I had hoped to be financially when we started the year. It has required much more  personal effort and enerby as a result especially over the last half of the year. There is so much potential. Yet, it is hard, at times to not get discouraged. 

As chance would have it, I recently started reading an account of the Wright Brothers history of developing manned heavier than air flight by one of my favorite authors, David McCullough. It is a fascinating tale of incredible perseverance in the face of setbacks, lack of funds, skepticism, and sometimes, outright ridicule. Yet, the combination of determination and skill ultimately won out. 

This led me to thinking of so many other stories of the accomplishments. Rarely, almost never, is the path to accomplishment smooth, without setbacks, without frustrations. 

I need to take these lessons to heart. I need to embrace the challenges and the frustrations as the price of accomplishment. Perseverance and calm. Those must be my companions. I know this will succeed. I simply need to have the patience and the fortitude to allow it.

1 comment:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I am so very impressed by what you have done with Theodora. It is something to be proud of.

I can see how it would be wearing to struggle so much, through, and I hope you can continue to find patience.