Sunday, October 8, 2023

Maybe Transition Is Not An Event But A Constant State?

I wrote last February about being in a weirdly consistent state of joy. As I have contemplated the latest bizarre twist in my post working full-time life, I have asked myself, "How many transitions can a person have?" Shouldn't one or two be about right?

Evidently not. The latest shift of Wife and I deciding finally to not relocate out of the country has provoked other changes. It has had me getting a bit more focused on the stub of my consulting practice. Not that I'm going back to working full-time (God Forbid!) but I do need to feed that lie-flat business class seat habit and fund the remodel. For crying out loud, I am even giving a talk/workshop in a couple of weeks to a major family business succession forum (It's on Applying Human Centered Design to Business Exit/Succession Planning. Thanks for asking.). I haven't given public presentation in over a decade!

And, Theodora is continuing to grow and develop. I made a decision to start another major fund raise to support its growth (despite having said just 4-months ago I would do nothing of the sort). Add to this, two major trips planned for this year and it seems like I've transitioned back to where I was in 2015-17. 

After all this change, one would be foolish to make even the slightest statement that one has 'finally' transitioned. In fact, as the title of this post posits, maybe there isn't 'A' transition at all? Maybe there is only a constant state of transitioning?

1 comment:

alexis said...

oh you never mentioned the title! HCD is a well used term in the company I work for now. Nice to see it come round. I guess the only constant is change?